Tips and Tricks
It is our goal to ensure your investment is a wise and effective one.
It is Sound Isolation Company's goal to ensure your investment is a wise and effective one. Consider the following comments before choosing the soundproofing product for your project.
1. We do not recommend buying soundproof foam as insulation between the floor joist and/or studs. By insulating between the studs or joist you are not breaking the path of noise vibration, the most important concern when soundproofing. It is expensive when compared to standard insulation and is not heavy enough to block noise, especially when compared to our soundproof barrier @ 1 lb/square foot.
2. We do not recommend buying barrier with adhesive on it. The barrier will have to be secured with mechanical fasteners because the adhesive will not support it. Most importantly, soundproof barrier is meant to be flexible, not installed between layers of drywall. It works better when it is the first thing attached to the framing.
3. We do not recommend using vibration mounts under a sheetrock wall. Sound isolation clips do not work if they are not "loaded". They must be supporting the wall or ceiling to effectively dissipate noise energy.
4. We do not recommend buying supposedly "quiet" sheetrock. We regularly get calls from people who have purchased those products and are dissatisfied with the actual results. We have used these "high tech" products and found them to be marginally effective over existing wall and ceiling structures.
Furthermore, any claim of STC 52 wall is just an "average" soundproof wall, only 2 dB over the minimum requirement of STC 50 in most cases. If you want real peace and quiet, we do not suggest an STC of 52. Finally, the real cost for just one side of a wall is more than $4.00 a square foot, and if you review the actual lab testing, both metal tape, and acoustical caulk must be used at every joint, top, and bottom of every panel.
We have products that will perform equally for $ 1.50/sqft, and even better for a maximum of $ 3.00/sqft.
5. Our soundproof barriers are in stock every day. When comparing products make sure you understand that the weight of products is the key element. Be wary of samples that are not labeled.
The finished product and actual performance of the wall/ceiling/floor is what matters. We know what works because we have the experience to back it up.